A minor in Asian & Middle Eastern Studies with a Hebrew concentration is available via two options: the language track and the literature track
Option 1: Language Track Requirement: 5 Courses (at least 5 credits)
- 3-4 language courses, 2 of which at the 300 level or above*
- 1-2 corresponding literature/culture courses at the 100 level or above.
Option 2: Literature Track Requirement: 5 Courses (at least 5 credits)
- 2 language courses*†
- 2-3 corresponding literature/culture courses at the 100 level or above. Courses must be taken in AMES.
- Students may take 1 at large literature/culture course. Courses must be taken in AMES.
* Elementary level courses (100 level ) will not count toward the major or the minor. †Students whose competence in a language exceeds the most advanced level offered by the department may substitute literature/culture courses for language courses.
For additional information, or to schedule a placement test, please contact the Coordinator of the Hebrew Language Program Professor Shelli Plesser (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Example of Course Plan for Study Taking Hebrew:
NOTE: Requirements for the minor may be fulfilled by study abroad credit. For information on study abroad and whether specific courses may be applied to the Hebrew minor, please contact the department.
For students studying Hebrew but who do not plan to complete the minor, Duke University also offers a Certificate in Judaic Studies. Consult the Bulletin for specific requirements.